the making of venus [link]
1. rough sketch, i used some waste paper
2. cleaning and editing the lineart,
3. used pencil tool for blocking color add the darkest value. i always use color window (F6) and use HSB color slide (click the upper right icon and choose HSB color. for the darkest color, i use brightness with 20 value. and saturation to 0.
4. lighting value. here's my formula, on hsb color slider, on the brughtness bar, i used 20 for the darkest calue, 50 for midtone value, and 80 for the brightest value. the saturation set for 0
don't forget to follow the lighting direction
5. editing the value with curve,level, whatever you think will improve the value...
6. start to color it on new layer with overlay mode. i've experimenting very much on this step. it's fun^^
7 paint the background. don't want it to steal the attention so i made it less detailed...
8. finalize. you can do whatever things that you think might improve the artwork